Septic Permitting

Whether you are buying an existing house or purchasing an undeveloped lot, if you plan on making changes, chances are that you will need some type of permit. In addition to septic system permits, the following are some other types of permits that we may be able to help you obtain.  

Local Zoning Board or Planning Commission Approval:


Every town in New Hampshire and most towns in Vermont have regulations pertaining to land development. These regulations may include requirements for setbacks, easements, buildings including height, footprint, and in some cases color and style, property frontage, area, flood hazard areas, driveway permits, wetlands, and others. Many of these issues may have been resolved when the property was originally subdivided, however changes or new construction may still require permit to be obtained. Thoughtful planning and a good presentation before the local zoning board or planning commission are the keys to a favorable outcome.  

Site Assessment (New Hampshire):

As required by the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services (NHDES) Regulations Env-Wq 1025.01, the owner of the waterfront property within 200’ of a any body of water greater than 10-acres or other Protected Shoreland as designated by the state, shall contract a Designer licensed in the State of New Hampshire to perform a waterfront property site assessment study prior to the execution of a purchase and sale agreement for the property.

ACT250 (Vermont)

Is a Vermont law was created to review large-scale development projects using 10 criteria that are designed to safeguard the environment, community life, and aesthetic character of the state. If a property is under ACT250 jurisdiction, any new developemnt, including additions, expansion of any kind or septic system replacements require approval from ACT250 which has the authority to issue or deny a permit.

Wetland Permitting (New Hampshire and Vermont)

Many people believe that wetlands are simply standing water with cattails and ducks. Not so... a wetland is based on water, soils, and vegetation. Any two which meet the criteria for a wetland may require a wetland permit. In fact, many driveways which cross a roadside ditch to access a property require a wetland permit.

Subdivision (New Hampshire and Vermont):


Prior to subdividing a parcel of land most towns will require Local Subdivision approval, however both New Hampshire and Vermont also require state permits for certain parcels